Sunday, August 2, 2009

My dog has been eating the leaves off of a particular plant in my yard for about the last week. What does thi


Answers:
It probably means it tastes good. That sounds like a stupid answer, but it is probably the most sincere answer I can give you.

I know dogs like to eat leaves and grass to help them digest hair that gets in their stomach from licking themselves when they are shedding. Is your dog shedding? If so, brush him daily to reduce the amount of hair they ingest. This might help.

Also, you can get a spray from your local pet supply store, and some garden centers, that you apply to the plant and it has a very bitter taste to discourage animals from chewing/eating them.

I have had two dogs over the past 15 years that have eaten plants in my yard and I have had a brutal time trying to get them to stop. Both did stop however, and it seems that winter was the answer. I guess what happened was that during the winter the bushes and plants would lose their leaves and get buried in the snow. Then when spring came and the leaves returned, it seemed that they forgot all about eating the plants.

BE EVRY CAREFUL - as some plants and shrubs can be extremely toxic to animals and in some cases might be fatal if swallowed. Check with your vet, or possibly garden center, to see if you have any harmful plants and get rid of them.

Good luck!
I'm not very sure my dogs didn't do it when we lived in new orleans but since we moved to Atlanta all mt dogs do it.The vets tell me they have a stomach problem and not to worry about it,

No comments:

Post a Comment