Sunday, August 2, 2009

My dog has an IOP of 22 in her right eye - Vet says early sign of glaucoma. What is a normal reading?

My dog is a cockapoo and weighs 16 lbs. She is only 2 years old. We are heartbroken.
Answers:
I am sorry to hear about that.

Here are some sites that may help
The first is an actual paper by a veterinarian %26 will probably be the most helpful, I did see a normal IOP number in the "Introduction- Part B" section.

Hope this helps you
I'm not sure 22 is that scarey. I think normal is 15-20. Maybe get a second opinion.
I have found that many gp's lack training in how to properly read either a Schiotz tonometer or a Tonopen (easier and more accurate)..how to differentiate true vs. erroneous readings on both instruments. Ask for a referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist ASAP. There may not be anything at all for you to worry about.but if there is, early appropriate treatment is crucial in order to save your dog's vision/eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment