Sunday, August 2, 2009

My dog has an ear infection, but I don't have the money to take him to the vet, can I treat him at home?

I know it isn't ear mites, His ears are swollen and inflamed inside. He is constantly shaking his head.
Answers:
If your dogs ears are red and swollen inside and he is shaking his head, he really does need medical attention. If not properly treated his ears will certainly get worse and could become a lifelong problem. Please borrow some money from a family member or friend and get him into his vet. Good Luck
the best bet is to take him to the vets to get it cured. if you treat him at home it could cost you a lot more to take him to the vet after that! there are charities such as the PDSA who give veterinary support to people who cannot afford to pay for treatment for their sick pets, so id try them, but treating it at home will only make it worse!
You should not have a dog if you don't have the money to take care of him. He is depending on you, just like a child would!
The same thing happened to my dog. If you call your vet and ask him to give you a prescription they should just be able to give you one. You should not need an appointment.
I can tell you about the medication I used to heal the ear infection in my puppy, but I`m not sure if you can get the medicine without prescription. I used 5 drops of Clotrimazole Sol. 1% into each year twice a day, and I cleaned the ears with Epi-Otic ear cleanser every other day. I did this for two weeks. After that you should keep cleaning the ears with Epi-Otic once every week to prevent new ear infection.
Sometimes situations come up, and people can't afford to take their animals to the vet at that time. So lighten up people, quit being jerk offs, and hope you don't end up in that situation.

I'd try calling your vet, or another vet, explain your situation and see if maybe they can give you a break, either a payment plan or a reduced cost. A good vet won't want to see an animal in pain, and there's no reason why they can't waive their office visit and only charge for an antibiotic-which aren't expensive anyway. If no results with that, try calling your local humane society and see if they can help in some way. Good luck!
Please take your dog to the vet!! Maybe they could work out payments that you can afford.
GOOD LUCK!!
Did you ever have an ear infection? I've had ear infections a couple of times, and it's one of the worse pains I've experienced. you really need to get an emergency odd job, ask your neighbors if they need their backyard cleaned. maybe you want to change some light bulbs for the old lady down the street. having pets is like having children. it's a responsibility. If you don't do a thing about it, you are neglecting your pet. Your dog need antibiotics, and a good cleaning routine from now on. it takes several months of neglect for an ear infection to get that bad. You can't treat a severe infection like that at home. You need to find that money, or just give your dog away. I don't want to lecture you anymore, but the money is not gonna fall down on your lap, neither is gonna be mailed to you from heaven. get up, leave the computer and get an extra job.
Find a VCA near you, they are cheap. Or, see if your county has a free pet clinic or cheap pet clinic.
So, you have diagnosed your dog with an ear infection? No. If your dog is sick then part of the responsibility of being a pet owner is to take him to the vet. If you can't afford routine vet care, then you shouldn't have a dog.

I'm going to link to some resources on finding low cost vet care. Take the time to read them as they are actually helpful. And start a doggie savings account so that the next time this happens, you won't be asking strangers on the internet for advice while your dog suffers; you can take your dog to the vet.
I would try to find a way to take him to the vet. my dog had an ear infection but we tried to take care of it at home. My dog suffered from a massive blood in the ear prblem. if you know anyone who has a dog and been through the problem than ask them or even call a vets office for advice. asking for help is way better than having your dog suffer.
The symtumes you are describing sound like a blood in the ear problem. it needs to be drained but have a professional do it. also try to keep you dog from scratching at it or shacking his head to mush. that only makes it worse. your dog at the moment is probably misserable because it really does hurt. it is like a sratch on the inside that you can never reach and if you try than you only cause more pain. ask a vet for an estamite and also try a dog pound or clinic that may do special services.
Friendly Hello,

Sounds silly but apple cider vinger. Warm up and put some drops in ear and infected area.
50-50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol squirted directly into the ears 3x/day for a week.

That will fix him right up.

3 comments:

  1. My dog has been treated for ear mites for two years by many vets with no results. Finally I found a solution - very simple- apply mineral oil to the ear and massage. Do this for a week or so and problem cured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm goin through the same thing except my puppy (a 1 year old Bichon Frise named Ducati)isn't shaking his head or scratching his ear. My prob is his ear is red, not inside just outside the ear, and I'm worried as to what it might be and why. and boy am i brave for admitting this in this here "MEAN PEOPLE" blog because the amount of jerks commenting have no idea what we "the people" going through this issue have gone through. Money is scarce if not for you then KUDO's but for people to be so judgmental to someone who's desperately calling for help because they cannot afford the professional kind at the time is tooo MEAN!! talk about CYBER BULLYING!! smh and I bet you they are ADULTS probably going through midlife crisis, which is probably why they can be soo rude like it's nothing! BUt any ways back to Ducati and his ear, I guess I'll try the apple cider method and see what happens, I'm getting paid friday so Saturday I'll take him to Pet-co when he gets his shots I'll ask the Vet what's up with it!

    ReplyDelete