Sunday, August 2, 2009

My dog has a proplem, he wont stop licking himself. What do I do?

My mom would like to know because when he licks himself., he gets the bed all wet.
Answers:
For animals such as dogs and cats, licking themselves is their way of cleaning themselves, or sometimes scratching an itch. It would probably be not such a good idea to make them stop completely unless it's detrimental to their health. However, there is no need for him to do it on the bed. When ever you see him licking himself, tell him very firmly "No." And send him to a place more appropriate. For example, if my dog was on a bed and licking himself, I would firmly say "No.. Where-do-you-go?" "Where-do-you-go" is a phrase we use to let him know we want him to go to his mat. I've heard other dog owners use "On-the-mat." Whatever you decide to use, be firm, and be consistent. And no training happens overnight, so be patient.
Dogs like themselves. Either get over it of don't have a dog.
Take him to the vet, he could have a skin condition. And don't allow him on the bed.
Ya there's a reason he gets the bed all wet.. You could try Bitter Apple, I doubt it will help. Is he neutered? That would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment