Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Dog Has Diabetes? he is going blind can I handle this .Crying owner?

Can I handle this..Crying dog owner.He is going blind.
Answers:
This is very heartbreaking to tell you, myself being a doglover also, but you probably have to get him put to sleep. It would be different if he was just blind. I think they have laser eye sugery for dogs (very expensive). Diabetes is very fatal to the dog. Believe me, I had a 12yr old toy poodle that was the same way. I had him since I was 6. It broke my heart when it got old. I tried to keep him alive, but he got so blind he started walking into walls and crying because of the pain. He was my best friend. It hurt so bad and no dog can take that place. It's better for the animal to go to heaven then live in pain. I'm so sorry.
kick his
Please read the answer to your other question on the same topic
You poor thing its not easy just be there for him/her they will get used to it. Spend as much time with them as you can.

:-) Chin up they sense when your upset
Sorry to hear about your pet. Its never easy when they are sick and reaching old age. Try and remember all the good times you had. Give your dog a hug for me.
Dogs have an amazing way of adapting to handicaps, and they depend on their sence of smell a lot anyway to get them around. Calm down,you might be surprized how well your dog does.
Sure you can. Just do what you can to help him in any way you can. My late elderly cat lost her hearing toward the end, and I found myself using some hand signals to try to show her what was going on. She got so she understand my hand signals, and live a couple of years that way. It is sad, but it becomes a part of life.

There are - what - millions of people who have had to watch their parents lose their sight or their legs to diabetes - and they manage to handle it. People handle stuff.

Have your cry, and then treat your dog with kindness and do your best when it comes to his losing his sight. He knows you and his house and whatever else is around, and he'll find some way to adjust. Just as many people who have disabilities would want, your dog would probably want you to know he'll still be him.
I think your dog is getting cataract which is sequelae of hyperglycemia or diabetes in dogs. Have u been giving insulin to ur dog? How old is ur dog? If u haven't tried insulin, visit a Vet n start it. If it hasnt worked, visit Vet Opthalmologist for eye exam and if u have tried both.then u have reason to cry..I m sorry in that case my friend !
Hello there, Im so so sorry for your dog . My parents have a 7 yr old pure breed lab that is blind she went blind about 9 months ago from diabities.

Her dog "truckie" adapted better then my mom dad. It its amazing what dogs can do . His ears will get so much better because he will depend on his ears now. Her dog knows his away around the house and such things like that. Now if you dont have a fence or a electric fence up * which my mom has* YOu will need to be out there with him just to make sure he dont hurt himself or run out into the road,

Now depending on your dog's age they can do eye surgery for your dog and replace their site. Its about 1200 a eye here in Ohio , but the dog has to be under control of his diabities , and they will do testing on the dog first to make sure the surgery will work for him. If you are interested let me know and I can get the info for you.

Your dog will be fine, you will just have to be a little more patient with him, and if its like my mom's dog he will follow you around alot more to feel more secure.

If you need help or questions for me feel free to email me and I can help you if you would like

And no you dont have to put your dog to sleep just because he went blind. When I was growing up we had a dog that lived 8 yrs after he went blind and was a very healthy dog just couldnt see .

1 comment:

  1. Diabetes and blindness...neither one is a death sentence!!! I know diabetic dogs who have lived to a ripe old age. My dog is 13 yrs. old (Pug mix) and was diagnosed in Nov.07 and went blind 3 months later. Diabetes is controlable with insulin injections, proper diet, and attention and love. No way should any dog be put to sleep out of pity when diagnosed with diabetes. They can live a normal life. I can give 100 examples. Go here: www.caninesupportgroup.com

    ReplyDelete