Sunday, August 2, 2009

My dog has an issue with his back feet?

I don't know whats wrong with my dog. I am going to take him to the vet later this week just to get him checked out.

He tries to get his back feet all the time. He'll spin in circles trying to get them. He'll lay down and chew on them and pull the hair out of them. He'll be walking along and suddenly wheel around and try to get one of those back feet.

I've looked at the feet closely and I can't see anything wrong with them. They aren't red or swollen and he dosen't limp. I know for sure it isn't fleas because he is a chinese crested and the hair on his feet is thin and I could have seen fleas if there were any. He still eats, drinks and plays just like normal. What could it be?
Answers:
It sounds like atopy > http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/stor.
Atopy is most commonly seen for the first time in dogs 1-3 years of age, and initially may be associated with the 'pollen' season, although symptoms are constantly present in older dogs.

Inflammation of the skin produces severe itching, usually generalized. The dog chews, licks, and scratches its skin, resulting in hair loss and secondary infections. The problem may be worse in the axillae (armpits) and underside of the abdomen. Some dogs mainly chew their feet.

Swiffer wet jets, air fresheners, Carpet cleaners, etc can bring on the attack, as well as pollens in the Spring and Fall..
The cleaner you use on your floor may be irritating him. Watch them closely for signs of redness or swelling as you have been doing. You are right to make an appoinntment with a vet and have it checked out.
he could be allergic. i had a dog once that had horrible allergies on all of her paws, and chewed on them alot. or i've heard that that can mean the dog has anxiety of sorts. your vet will get to the bottom of it though.
I had a dog that did the same thing..It was allergies..Ask the vet. My vet gave my dog Benydryl. But u need to get the dosage from your vet. Good Luck
Could Be An Allergy Or Something He's Walked In,Clean Them Real Good,A Small amount Of Vasiline Will Not Hurt Him,Use Baking Soda And Water To Rinse After Washing,It May Neutralize Whatever It Is.
It probably is somethng normal for it. I mean, if other dogs chase their tail why not a dog that chases it's legs. Unless of coarse it has fleas or ticks.
Allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment