Saturday, May 22, 2010

my dog has parvo!! any advice??

ok well hes a 3 month old pitbull and he was really sick this morning so we took him to the vet. since 4 o clock ive been feeding him 20cc of pedialyte with a syringe through his mouth. he has stopped shivering, but continues to throw up just like clear spit and foam. he hasnt pooped or peed, so im really scared that hes going to get EVEN MORE dehydrated. ummm.. i saw someone said that you can feed them rice. is that good?? im really scared so any advice would be really good. thank you so much!
Answers:
I think that I am more shocked that the vet sent you home with such a sick dog. Did the vet definitely tell you that the dog has Parvo and send you both home? Your poor dog should have been hospitalized and put in in intensive care.

I would most definitely take him back to the vet. If it's after hours where you are, then you need to call an emergency vet.

My best wishes to your sick little puppy. I pray he gets better.

EDIT TO ADD:

Sorry, I didn't see the part you added that it's definitely Parvo when I wrote the beginning. I'm appalled that the vet sent the dog home. You need to take the do to take him to an emergency vet. He should be hospitalized.
Kill it. He's going to probably die. Please don't let him suffer!
rice mixed with eggs works but get another vet and keep him warm.
Take him back to the vet. If he does indeed have parvo, the only hope of saving him is 24 hour veterinary care for the next few days. The virus makes the dog dehydrated and breaks down his system, attacking him when he is the weakest. For little puppies, this doesn't take much. IV drips and constant monitoring may be your puppy's only hope. Take him back to the vet. He may not survive the night. Best of wishes to you and yours!
Okay i'm just trying to understand this you took your puppy to the
vet for parvo and you are giving it pedialyte what meds did they give? try pepto bismol for the vomiting.
Yes I worked at a vet clinic you must take him to a vet. It takes a lot of care to get over parvo. That person is an idiot who said to kill it. Parvo can be cured. I am not sure why the vet sent the puppy home in the first place.
my dog had parvo as a puppy. let it rest and give it lots of love and it will live a while. like.16 or older in human years. my dog died a few months ago at 16 years old. :(
I'm surprised they didn't keep him for observation.

Parvo virus is very fatal and can be prevented with proper vaccinations following puppy vaccination protocols.

Follow your vet's advice or seek a second veterinary consult.
If your PUPPY has parvo and he didn't stay under intensive care at the vet you need to take the puppy back or to another vet, your puppy might not even make it through the night. Parvo is a DEADLY virus, and w/the pup being so young still having his mom's immune system the odds are against him. Be responsible and fair to your poor puppy and take him to another vet
I'm a lover of Pit bulls, so I'm going to tell you everything I think that you should do. If I were you I would go to another vet and ask if this medicine method is recommended and safe, and if it is going to work for your puppy. Also what are the chances of him getting better..I'm going to tell you straight up, if he gets worse, and you don't have the money to help him through it, put him down, but that is only if he gets much worse and he looks like he is suffering..I can't see any puppy or animal suffer. If you haven't read up on Parvo here is a good website about it, it has allot of information about it. How it is transmitted, treatment, and other useful info. http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm. I hope I have helped, and the BEST of luck to you and your pit bull puppy, may he get better and life a good and healthy life.
I'm shocked that your vet even let you bring him home.
He should of came home w/the IV still in %26 some extra fluid bottles. As long as he's not pooping blood, thats a good sign! But, he needs to stop throwing up. I would call the vet back tonight %26 insist on bringing him back in tonight. He needs vet care for several days.
Your vet either sent him home b/c you didn't want to leave him, money issue, or your vet knew he wasn't going to make it-or he's a noncaring vet!
I had a puppy with Parvo once. It takes hour by hour care to get them through it at home. We got through it, but I'd never want to deal with that again. Your puppy can get the care it needs best at the vet. Giving fluids through an IV is much easier than trying to get him to drink from the syringe. And you're going to have a very nasty mess to deal with. They have severe diarrhea with Parvo. You best bet is to get back to the vet a.s.a.p.
Well let me tell u this my moms pitbull had the prvo also and she gave him a laxitive to help him poo-poo and it helped with the parvo it like a very big stomach ache like we have but worse help him get over it very soon animal lover in you in all.
My pup had parvo and he was in the vets for 10 days the problem
is with parvo they can seem like they are getting better but then take a turn for the worst. Even after being in the vets for 10 days he came home and was put on special medicated puppy food and we had to watch him very carefully for the next few days. I got my pup from a pet store I will never do that again. I also made the pet store pay for the vet bill.

2 comments:

  1. my dog has parvo and it dosent poop blood but it cant stand up or move and when i touch it ti certian places it cries whatz happening is that a good sign or no

    ReplyDelete
  2. and im really worried about and on some websites it says to feed it water with some gatorade in it should i do tht

    ReplyDelete