Monday, May 24, 2010

My dog is aggressive towards minorities?

A dog I got from the pound is very friendly to our family and neighbors, but as soon as some blacks come near, our dog barks viciously. I am not complaining as this is an unexpected bonus, but our mailman is one of the few minorities around that isn't on crack or trying to rob anyone. Any way I can help my dog to be more friendly towards him? Its pretty bad. I put the TV on BET and the bog barks at the blacks on the screen jumping around talking about rap.
Answers:
your dog in his past life was black.
I brought home a 1 year old Rott in hopes to keep it. I am white, my husband who is black come home and the dog lost it. My black husband tried to feed the dog sandwich meat and the dog would not take it. I think your dog has not been properly socialized, and may not have seen a dark skinned person. By the way, I understand that you do not like crack heads neither do I however, BLACKS are not the only race that smoke crack! You should consider socializing yourself.
It is very possible that his previous owner was of another color and they may have teased or abused this dog. Good luck.
Just tell the post office to send another mail carrier of another race, and sit back and relax.
Getting dogs from places like the pound that have already been raised by people you dont know makes questions like your almost impossible to answer, because you dont know what he was trained to do in the past. There are also two other things that I have noticed in all the years that I have been around dogs. One is that for some odd reason, most dobermans that I have seen , have always had issues w/ black people. Dont know why but they do. Another thing is that a lot of black people are scared of dogs, and the dog senses that then trys to make a "joke" out of it. The only thing you can do about your mail man, is either take baby steps in getting your dog to accept him, or just make sure that they never come in conact.
My dog is the same way, but I've had him since a puppy, so I know he wasn't abused. I thought it might be because with darker skin, your eyes are more noticeable. Maybe your dog thinks he is being challenged when they look at him??
I have seen this before in dogs that have not seen different people or it could be that he was trained to dislike black people by the previous owner, Regardless of the reason, if you want him as a watch dog, the mailman of any color will set most dos off. What you can do , is ask him to be quiet and the second he is, praise and treat. But be sure you know what you want, if you want him to alert you everytime someone comes to the door, training him to ignore the mailman could be counter productive.
PS- I'm older- I hate rap too- sorry!! %26lt;grin>
The reason that your dog is aggressive towards these people is that he is either afraid of them, or thinks of them as a threat.
Next time your dog gets mean, don't use soothing words! He'll only think he's getting praised for barking. Instead, be the boss! Make him sit! "Bad dog! Be quiet!"
Spray bottles full of water work great. When he starts barking, spray it directly in his face and say, "No!" It will catch him off guard and he'll stop.
If that doesn't work.
I highly recommend a stun gun. (I know it sounds cruel, but just read on)
Get a stun gun of 25,000 volts (really not that much). When your dog starts to bark, put it against his rump and hold down the button for half a second. It will surprise him. He'll prolly jump, then yip. Then he'll know he's being punished.
I know it sounds awful, but I have a dog, and it works wonders whenever he's barking. And he doesn't become bitter towards you. (it inflicts hardly any pain, go ahead, try it on yourself) In fact, whenever I use the stun gun on my dog, right after he is punished, he becomes happy again and jumps up on me.
He'll respect you if you show you're not afraid to discipline him for doing bad things.
"I'am not complainting as this is an unexpected bonus" sounds like you have something against black people too. You are gonna be in for a rude awaking one day. Black people have feelings and souls. Black people get into heaven just like everybody else! God doesn't not like black people why in the hell should you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment