Monday, May 24, 2010

My dog is eating his own hair.not off of him, but off the floor??

He sheds quite a bit (as usual), and if i dont' vacuum every other day it collects in the corners (hardwood floors, so the hair all gathers in corners %26 under things). Out of nowhere today he ran around my bedroom and was eating all these clumps of hair!! I made him stop %26 then when I wasn't looking he did it again!. WTF?!?!?!?!
Answers:
Now It is not off the wall for the dog to eat hair let him out so he can eat some grass he has an upset tummy I have a small dog who does the ame if I change her for or certian kinds of people food and that can cause tummy upsets so next to grass if they can't get it hair is the next best thing to a dog. It's there upset tummy causing them to do too.
it might be left over food i doubt he will eat hair
I don't know, but I've seen a dog eat grass. My grandmother said it was because of an upset stomach.
Your doggy has found a new eating game. Watch him closely and give him a firm "NO.BAD DOG" each time. A better way to speed up the training is to get a large clump of hair and put it about two feet(maybe closer) in front of him. When he goes for it, give the no command.
do not let him accomplish his mission. Each time he make an attempt repeat the command. After a 10 or 15 minute session give him a treat. After a few sessions he should be cured of this habit.

Grooming your dog (brush his coat) daily will help you to collect the hairs better.

Good Luck.
I dont think hes that dumb to eat his own hair.
usually dogs are smart.
I don't know why some people are doubting that your dog has started eating his own hair.some dogs will eat just about anything. My lab/boxer mix eats wood chips, for crying out loud. And it's not a dumb thing..some people.

My brother's beagle eats his own hair..and sometimes my male cat tries to eat the clumps I brush out of him.

Anyways, I agree with the poster who said it's a food game. This can sometimes stem from boredom. I'm not saying it's your fault, obviously we can't entertain them all the time, but they do get bored and find the strangest things to entertain themselves with.

Try the training mentioned above. It's pretty similar to the "off" command I'm teaching my dog to curb his chasing instinct.

Good luck!
make sure you do vacum every day and make sure you brush him outside then hopefully he wont have any hairs to eat !

No comments:

Post a Comment