Saturday, May 22, 2010

my dog has seperation anxiety badly I want to keep him comfortable and quiet when I"m not home?

the dog is 14 yrs old so retraing is of no use. I just want him to be comfortable when I'm not home
Answers:
Doggie day care might be a answer, it helps them alot, my dog loves it. But also try making sure something you wear like a bathrobe is where he can smell it and lay on it. There are a few all natural calming remedies on the market but with your dog being 14 years old I would check with your vet first. Also they make something called comfort zone it's a spray that contains pheromones to calm dogs. it is released in the air you can't smell them but your dog can. They are generally carried at any pet store and have no side effects.
There are DVDs you can buy at pet stores that actually entertain dogs. They give off those high pitched sounds that only dogs can hear and it keeps them happy.

Or you can take him to a doggy day care if there's one nearby.
Play a classical music station. Classical music calms animals and generally, the DJ's speak in very calm voices, not the screaming antics of pop radio DJ's.

Leave some old clothes with your scent on laying around the house.
Just a t-shirt or a couple of socks should do it but it should be something that you don't care if it's covered with dog hair or gets chewed on.
my dog was starting to act up everytime we left our house so we started leaving the television or a radio on for her and she seems content with that.

It never hurts to try!!

Good Luck!
My cat used to scratch and meow terribly while I was away. He also hates closed doors. I found that leaving the television on helps him to relax. Also leaving all doors to all rooms open helps as well because if they can see that you are not in any of the rooms then they can relax better too. It almost seems like they think they are being ignored or punished when a door is closed. I dunno.Anyway, Good luck!
1. There are always puppies to keep him company.
2. Try several kong toys stuffed with treats.
Retraining IS an option. The oldest dog I've ever trained was 15 and he loved it. But if you are looking for a fast fix, then stick with the toys.
Crate train him!
maybe find a family oet sitter, find the animal planet show, or place sum soothing music on. maybe just call him like a lot, call ure phone and leave a message on it, maybe he can hear u, just leave for ten minutes sum times, then maybe 20 or 30, then gradually increase the time limit, so he will get used to being away from u. and know that u will eventually come home, he just might not think ure coming home or sumthing, good luck!
Go on Good Dog U on animal planet. There is a clip for suggestions.
well the dog is too old so it might cause a problem if u take him/her to a doggy day care..
HMMM.. myu answer would be. GET ANOTHER DOGGY!! weeeeeee
you can leave a tape recording of you talking going while you are out or some music and something that smells of you with him
I feel your pain:).
I used to take care of friends dog when he was out of town. I would stay at house with dog. Shepherd, Lab, Collie mix.Floyd.
http://www.antmanbee.blogspot.com.
If they had to leave house at six in the morning to go to airport .I had better get there around five to reassure Floyd.
And he would watch me.
and panic when he lost sight of me.
and follow me around like Wiley Coyote.
peeking around the corner.
nice loveable doggie though..
but got that separation thing going.

from wikipedia
The dog is a mammal in the order Carnivora. Dogs were domesticated from wolves as recently as 15,000 years ago[1], or perhaps as early as 100,000 years ago based upon recent genetic fossil and DNA evidence [2][3]. New evidence suggests that dogs were first domesticated in East Asia, possibly China [4], and the first peoples to enter North America took dogs with them from Asia..
Dogs, like humans, are highly social animals and this similarity in their overall behavioral pattern accounts for their trainability, playfulness, and ability to fit into human households and social situations. This similarity has earned dogs a unique position in the realm of interspecies relationships. The loyalty and devotion that dogs demonstrate as part of their natural instincts as pack animals closely mimics the human idea of love and friendship, leading many dog owners to view their pets as full-fledged family members. Conversely, dogs seem to view their human companions as members of their pack, and make few, if any, distinctions between their owners and fellow dogs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/dog.

He doesn't like to be left behind.

If I had to leave friends dog alone for any length of time I would double or triple the amount of attention paid to dog when I got back. I always though dogs owner was a bit tight on the dogs diet.
He kinda control freak.
But when I was taking care of dog I would up his rations and add dog cookies.
And when I was at the house it's me, the tv, a cup of coffee, my marijuana pipe.and the dog.
And of course a cat, fish, and mice.
So the dog gets a lot of attention.

Maybe leave TV on?

Floyd had a cat buddy
http://www.antmanbee.blogspot.com.
take him to a nice but inexpensive dogboarding place he will feel right at home
TV on should help in the near term. Try to make the dog's environment more friendly, bright, warm, etc.

http://www.petsell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment