Monday, May 24, 2010

My dog is inbred?

I have a german shepherd that is almost 3 years old and we got her fixed about 6 months ago. The vet said that she wasn't a pure bred and told us that she thought that she was also inbred becasue of a deformed uterus or something. It kind of confirmed my own thoughts and my dog seems to be getting worse by the day. How bad will she get? The whole point was for her to protect my children and now they won't even go outside if she's out there. What should I do?
Answers:
A bad breeding can be an outcross, a linebreed, or an inbreed. Defects, and bad temperaments simply mean that the breeder had no idea of what they were doing except having a litter of puppy's. Simply put a "back yard breeder".
I won't be pretentious and tell you what to do, but I WILL tell you what not to do; do not wate until one of your children has been bitten before you decide what to do.

Personal opinion is I would NEVER waste ten years of my life on a dog that I didn't like.
That totally does not mean that the dog is inbred. It could just have come from REALLY BAD genetics!!

Yes, what Stu says is true!! LOL!! What an idiot the vet must be!! THe dog cannot be both a NON-purebred AND inbred too!

That doesn't even make sense!!

IF you must part with the dog.DO NOT TAKE IT TO A SHELTER! This dog would need to be put down. It should not be rehomed. It could be a danger and people wouldn't even know!!
if its not a pure bred its not an inbred
Your question is to vague, what exactly is she doing that your children are afraid of? The only way you will know if the dog is inbred is by the papers. Having a dog that is mixed breed does not mean they will make bad watch dogs. I have 3 dogs and all three are protectors and all 3 are mixed breeds. I am handicapped and my big rott/lab mix is my helper dog, though not certified he helps me up if I fall. Please explain how she is getting worse, please explain what the problem is. I can always edit my answer if I knew what the problem was.

To me it sounds like she is just becoming over protective of her area. I believe you may wish to either check into a behavioral training class or possibly find another home for her or worse case sinario you may have to put her down, and get a dog that is not so territorial. Your children are far to important to have to worry if your dog is going to get extremely aggressive. If she is mixed with a more dominant breed than a German Shepard you could be setting yourself up for a disaster. Good luck.
I have never had a problem like this with a dog. I had one a shepherd/colllie mix that was inbred. Someone gave her to us. She would have been put to sleep if we hadn't taken her. She had half a brain. Not too smart in the brains department but she was a sweet loving dog. If you dog is getting mean, you need to find her a new home, or she may hurt one of your kids. If she gets bad enough, you may have to put her to sleep.
Find another vet, if she isn't pure bred, she sure isn't inbred. I had a Yorkie that was inbred, never again. Her puppies were deformed.Good luck.
I agree about being vague. Why will your children not go out there? What do they do if the dog is in the house/
Please don't think I am heartless, but if your pet isn't working out with your family, sell, or give her away and find another. As far as a loyal protecter. Consider breed reputation. Rot weiler plus black lab equals a great dog.
is the dog being / acting mean towards the kids..are they afraid of her or is she just being playful..maybe if the dog is being mean it might be that she is in pain.Sheppard have several inherit problems, which is why the breeding should be done with care, hip dsyplsia leaps to mind..but have never heard of deformed uterus meaning she is inbred.

perhaps we could have a bit more info so we can help / advise you.
I too agree that your question was vague. If the dog is a threat to your children then you need to find it another home, take it to a dog shelter or put to sleep.
I own an inbred dog. he was rescued from a collector that went all over our county answering free puppy ads. He would just take the whole litter from people giving them away. He was a very sick man who really thought he was saving the dog's he was adopting.When he finally got reported he had over 100 dogs in tiny pens all over his property. They were all starving, full of parasites and mange, breeding with their own brothers and sisters, and eating their own young. My poor Wilbur and his brother were the only puppies left in the pen who hadn't been eaten by their parents, who were brother and sister. he was literally skin stretched over bones, covered in mange, and totally unsocialized. He had never been touched by a person before he was rescued. For the first month I had him he was like a lifeless corpse cowering in the corner of his crate. It took several months before we could touch him without him screaming in fear and urinating all over himself. Now four years later, he is a different dog. He is a complete idiot, absolutely retarded, but very loving and sweet. You can tell there is something wrong with him, but he is nowhere near the dog he was when I got him. Work with your dog, hire a trainer. Maybe there is something you can do.
1) get another vet, this one is an idiot
2) take her to obedience class and teach her some manners
If your dog's health is declining, that could be the reason for behavior problems. When you don't feel well, you might act as nice or interact as well with others.

It's sad that some breeders don't watch their genetic pool very well, or are not responsible in breeding for puppies. Even with papers, you might get a dog that was not bred with the best chances for being healthy. Papers are filled out by breeders, and no one checks for "quality" when those papers are mailed to the AKC. Research and patience will find you great breeders.

If the dog's quality of life is slowly or rapidly declining, you might weigh out the humane issues of helping her. Dogs can't always tell us what they need, so look past your own needs and think about what she might want.
LMAO**!!
You wouldn't know "INBRED" if you stepped in it!

If it's NOT even PURE BRED,there's ABSOLUTELYNO WAY it can be "inbred"!!

INBRED MEANS closely breeding RELATIVES! IN THE SAME FAMILY=IN THE SAME BREED!

"Getting worse" at *WHAT*?

sheeeeeeeeesh.maroon

1 comment:

  1. I found out I have an inbred german shepherd. He's great and then all of a sudden he's in a bad mood and he will charge at me and my daughter and try to bite us. I got attached but it's not worth the risk. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete