Monday, May 24, 2010

My dog is jealous of the new baby.?

I'm due to have my first child in a few weeks, so I've been putting her nursery together. When I woke up this morning, I noticed that my dog had crapped all over the new carpet in that room! I was really upset. She must have known that she did something wrong because she hid under the bed and wouldn't come out.

I didn't think the new baby would be a problem for her. I had been bringing some of the baby's things in slowly so she wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the change. Is she jealous? How can I help her?
Answers:
1st, Congrads on your pregnancy!
Perhaps she was laying her sent on the new carpet (I know, it drives you crazy. mine pee'ed all over the stairs after we got them carpeted)
Or perhaps she is starting to get jealous. It is common for pets to get jealous when a new baby arrives, or even when company is in town visiting. Esp if its been just you and the dog up till now.
I know things must be crazy right now for you, but try and set a little time for just you and your pooch to play and cuddle. Perhaps take her to the park so she can be around children. Maybe even go to the store and by a doll that cries and soforth like a baby and see how the dog reacts to it. It may help her get a little used to it.
Have some time when you and the dog can be in the babies room together, perhaps you reading in a chair and the dog asleep on the floor or playing with one of her toys on the floor so that she can get used to the room and not feel threatened by it.
When you have the baby, before you bring it home from the hospital, have someone take something of the babies (a blanket or something) and let your dog smell it so she can get somewhat used to it so that when you bring the baby in the door, she is somewhat familar with the smell.
You may have to take her for training of some sort if it gets worse.
For now just keep the babies room door closed when she is out and you can't watch the dog.
Again, congrads and good luck!
put her outside
I think she is marking her turf,,thats her new baby,,lol.
i think she is jealous and i will probalby take a little time for her to get use to it and i think you should play with the dog so she knows that she is not being left out
don't worry the dog will soon get used to the baby
Im sure the dog just had to go and you woudnt let it out or something. but when you bring the baby home make sure you dnt neglect the dog
she think that you do not like her no more that sounds like what happen to my mom and dad what i was little.so they let yhe dog be with me alot and it help it alot.
Sounds like you have a difficult choice to make.
Of course she is jealous and I would make the dog part of the homecoming.But you must remember to kept the babies door closed at all times and never leave the baby alone in a room when the dog is in the house. If the dog attempts to become aggressive with the baby even one time the dog goes.
When we had our first baby, my husband brought home a blanket the baby was wrapped in to let the dogs smell and get used to the scent of the baby.

Since the baby hasn't arrived yet, the dog is likely not jealous. Be sure to give your dog tons of love and attention when the baby does arrive and ease curiosity by making sure she is properly introduced to new baby. As long as she doesn't get ignored as a result of the new baby in your home, she will have no reason to be jealous of the baby. It could take a little time, but most likely you won't have anything to worry about.
ha. . yea, it happens..what i did was that i let my baby interact with my dog(i have a toy yorkie, if you have a big dog, be careful).after a few months she got used to the baby and i even walked in one day and the baby was keeping her mouth open so the dog would lick her.gross!! but kinda cute to see them interact..try it and dont stop giving your dog attention.afterall, the dog was there first.. :)
Suggested this for a friend and it worked.get several shallow containers.small sour cream containers or such.put baby bath in some.baby oil in some.baby lotion.etc. Place them around the house (use cheap stuff because this is a waste.you will not use this on the baby after it sits around the house getting dust and dirt in in).this will get the dog used to the smell. DON'T ALLOW THE DOG TO GO INTO THAT ROOM! Keep the door closed if you have to, or put up a baby gate to keep her out. She is marking HER territory and that is not a good thing.

Sorry I can't go more indept.today is a "Monday" for me, and I can't think!

Good Luck and Congrats on your new baby!
Well, I wouldn't say she is jealous, that carpet was new and in her house so she prob was just you know like marking her territory. My dog did the same thing and he would chew the babys things up even, but when the baby finally came home he was not jealous at all.
He will now lay next to her and not let anyone by her, except for me and my boyfriend, it is so sweet.
Good luck and congrats!
your dog is not doing it out of jealousy. she is just marking the new things in the house. she doesn't even know that the things in the nursery is for the baby. just be patient. we had to go through this when our baby came into the world (5 months ago). our little boy (yorkie) tried to mark EVERYTHING in the nursery. we had to put a barrier into the room. we introduced them slowly, and now he is super-protective of her (he ALWAYS stands between the baby and any visitors). just take your time introducing them to each other.
get rid of the dog and don't be daft-thats a human you'll be raising
I've also recently had a baby and my 2 dogs have adjusted really well. Just be sure to give your dog pets and attention when the baby is around. Be calm, let the dog sniff the baby and praise her when she acts calm around the baby. Obviously, never leave the dog alone with the baby, but with time, the dog will get used to the baby and probably won't pay much attention to it.

I also got a book from Amazon.com, I think it's called "Babyproofing your dog," which had a lot of good tips.

Good luck!
wait to babe born

No comments:

Post a Comment