Thursday, July 30, 2009

My dog chewed electric cord in half - it was plugged in! How do I stop this?

No, she wasn't hurt at all, but I've heard that some dogs are somehow "drawn" to the electric current carried through cords. Is this true, is it harmful to the dog, and how can I stop this?
Answers:
It may sound silly, but put some tabasco sauce or some other irritant on the cords she bites. Her desire to bite them should vanish very quickly. She won't be hurt, but through this method she麓ll associate the cord to something unpleasant.
PS. Have her water bowl filled and ready at all times.
get rid of the dog.
My puppy went through that phase. I sprayed all the cords with a type of 'no chew' spray. It worked for me. Make sure you follow the directions on the bottle though- I think it has to be re-applied daily.
My cat had the same problem. I got sick of fighting her off my wires. so one day I just let her. she got shocked and never did it again.
My pup did the same thing with my speakers on the PC. I took a fly swatter and spanked her. She never did it again
Dogs just like chewing. They make a spray that you can spray on things that you do not wish them to chew on. A few applications of this on your power cords might just stop the chewing. Make sure though that there are things that she can chew on.
Never heard of a dog wanting to be shocked! Wow.
For destructive behavior in general, keep your dog in a wire crate when you are not in the room with them or keep them outside or in a room where there are no cords plugged in.
hide your cords under the carpeting or get a PVC pipe and snake the cords thru it to protect them.
no research your dog told its because they don't have anything challenging for them to do some dogs are made to do certain things i had a dog that was doing same things like that i took her on a walk same way a couple of times and then let her lead me home she walked me back i guess u can say. and she felt like she was really doing something she is the best dog ever now an a good listener
your going to have to get the cords up %26 do not give the puppy run of the house.
try the doggie no spray but also watch the puppy and when it starts to go for the cord say ock. ock is a sound dogs do not like and they will back off and stop.when the puppy gets the idea in 2 or 3 attempts at chewing cords and being repremanded it will stop because it really wants to please you. please never hit your puppy.it will fear you and run from you everytime you open a door.
You need to take the dog to do its business where you want it and when you can not watch you pup you need to keep it in a crate or in the kitchen where there are no cords where it is safe. Your dog is to young to be left unattended.
The dog is teething. Give it the correct things to chew.
You might try putting pepper sauce on the cord. But I think he will chew it anyway before he makes the connection. You need to be a more responsible pet owner.
What a shocking development.

No comments:

Post a Comment