Thursday, July 30, 2009

my dog died. I would like to set up a foundation in his name. I need to know where to begin. Please help?

I would like to help seniors with dogs who can not afford to take there pet to a doctor because of the cost. A pet should not have to die because of little or no funds as my little Rusty.
Answers:
I'm so sorry for your loss, but I think setting up a fund for elderly pet owners is a wonderful idea. So many live on fixed incomes and a pet is often their source of love and companionship.

I'm not sure how much help I'm going to to be, because all I can tell you is start by asking vets in your area. They may know to go about finding contacts, not to mention they may also be willing put a up small display where people can drop off their excess change . or more hopefully. Every little bit helps.

Another thought is contacting the animal control agency in your area and see if they have any good info. it. You may need to apply for a license, but I'm honestly not sure..

Good luck and bless our heart. You have a heart of gold.
try contacting a local veterinarian
I'm sorry for your loss. . .I wish I could have helped you somehow. I know what it's like to exhaust your available money and have to have a beloved pet put down.

Talk to someone at your local Humane Society or animal shelter. Chances are, they'll be able to help you. Or, contact a vet in your area. They may also be able to refer you to the right places to begin.
Rather than go through all of the trouble, why not go to your local Humane Society and make a donation in his memory?
sorry for ur loss and i think u should start a foundation
I think that's a fabulous idea. If you want to stick with seniors, you might try contacting the AARP to see what they would suggest.

To be honest, though.

Although we all know of seniors who are indeed needy, they as a group have the largest disposable incomes of any demographic group, when averaged out among them all. It sounds backwards of what you'd expect, but it has been proven. I have also had seniors tell me they're on a 'fixed' income, only to see the balance in their checkbook as they're writing. Yes, it might be fixed..but it's often fixed at a higher amount than many of the rest of us! I'm sure there are many who need help, however.

Maddie's Fund was begun years ago in memory of a beloved family dog (schnauzer, I think?), and it helped many people on Medicaid (so it was already documented that they were really in need of financial assistance) get their dogs and cats spayed and neutered for either $5 (males) or $10 (females.) The Maddie Foundation (not sure of the exact name) picked up the rest of the tab. They didn't do it totally for free, because it has been proven that people who invest even just a little bit in their own pets take better care of them than those who have everything just handed to them. I believe they were based in California, but I'm sorry I don't have a link for you. They helped in numberous states, however. That's just one example. You could always try to contact their board of directors and see how to go about getting started with your own foundation.

I'm not familiar with it, but I've seen several posters here mention IMOM.com (In Memory of Magic?)..you might try contacting them, too.

Good luck! :-)

And my condolences on the loss of your pal Rusty, btw.
Talk to your vet (or a vet)about putting up a money jar in his office for :HELPING SENIORS with pet cost
In RUSTY (your last name)..
My vet has a jar in his office for helping w/medical cost on strays brought in that was hit by cars.
I'm sorry for your loss. My heart goes w/you.
So sorry for your loss, know how hard it is. Try a site Called Rainbow bridge. They have Memorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment