Thursday, July 30, 2009

My dog follows me around and?

My dog follows me around constantly all day around the house, he mounts my leg or me whenever he has the chance. Its really getting annoying, its come to the points I just let him finish. He is a very emotional dog, and I dont want to hurt his feelings. He does not handle rejection very well, and will become depressed. But my leg is very sore, and I have a limp when I walk now. This has got to stop, any know what I can do to correct this behavior?

He mounted the little girl next door the other day, I was so embarressed, and he parents came running out yelling at me and my poor dog. I was so mad!
Answers:
Sound like it's time to have that mutt cut!
Is your dog neutered? If he isn't then I would get him neutered it would correct that problem. And if he is, then you need to tell him no, and be firm with him. He needs to know it's not right to do that.
At this point, I don't know if neutering will solve this behavior. You need to establish yourself as "pack leader" in order to correct the behavior. Unfortunately, your tone leads me to believe that you don't want to be dominant.

I would suggest crate training, and perhaps talk to a professional.
i agree that you should show dominance over him with a firm voice. it should be low and strong and it should clear up any problems
Have a professional trainer show you how to give an effective correction to the dog's neck. Teach him that this is inappropriate behavior as you would any inappropriate behavior. No, neutering isn't the answer - I have stud males who know better than to mount ANY human . don't depend on the poor souls at the petsmarts . they are NOT trainers, only employees who are told they're trainers .. you need someone who can teach you effective, safe dominance techniques - you CAN solve this problem within days, believe me. Good luck.
Sounds like you need to take control of this situation,and don't allow your pet to "FINISH" or mount your leg.He needs strict displine on this .You must become the pack leader and this isn't what you would call rejection of you pet,it mainly demonstrates to your pet that you're the boss.Roll up a piece of newspaper and have it handy so when your pet demonstrates this behavior,swat him a few times with the paper and use a harder tone of "NO",soon he will know this won't be tolerated,or you could always have him neutered.
Mounting is also considered to be a show of dominance, which is why you will see dogs of the same orientation mounting each other.

First thing, neuter if you have not. This will help in the horomone department.

Next thing, you need to establish yourself as dominant. It's the way of the pack. You're dog is taking the role because you are allowing it to happen.

I understand you don't want to "hurt your dogs feelings" and all, but you really need to do this. Your dog will still love you all the same.
my dog suffered from the same..vet helped me out so i guess its time for u make the visit.sooner the better
say bad dog when he comes around and tap his nose.
You need to show him who is in charge. Watch the Dog Whisperer on national geographic channel. Getting him cut helps too.
Neutered would be the best thing to do, I know it doesnt sound like it but it is. It will make him a better dog. Go to your local Human Society and they usually do discounted prices rather than your usually vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment