Friday, July 31, 2009

My dog had a tick?

My boyfriend bought me a golden retriver as a surprise. I've always loved dogs but have a bad phobia with ticks. My mother died from the complications of lyme disease when I was a child. I have flea and tick control gel I put on him once a month (as directed) but today I seen a tick on my dog's ear. I was so scared, I had to call my boyfriend over to get it out with tweezers. He only got half of it out. Does this mean that it's dead? I really don't know that much about ticks. I will take him to the vet soon just to make sure he's ok. Is there anything I should do in the meantime?
Answers:
The tick is dead, but it may make a large pimple-like sore where the head of the tick is..much as a splinter would.Your vet will get the rest out for you..Tweezers are good, but need to be applied right next to the skin, so the tick doesn't break off like that..
You don't need to do anything until you get to the vet.
Take the dog to the vet OR try to get the rest of the tick out of his ear, it's dead though.

Lyme disease has different effects on folks but for the most part it's treatable and can be detected early, don't worry, all will be OK.
no but you should take to vet next time put finger nail polish on the tick and watch it with a pice of cloth in your hand the tick breath tru is side so paint there really good and it will die then pick up
Get rid of the dog. your bf sounds like a dirtbag for getting you a flea and tick magnet as a surprise.
If only half of it came out, it is still alive, and may grow outward again. My vet says to get a paper towel, put it over your fingers and put your fingers as close to the dog as you can get them, then pull the tick out. Then put an antiseptic on the dog.
They have tick tweezers which are easier to use for ticks than human tweezers. I too do not like ticks and I live in Florida! I don't know what you are using, but I have found Frontline Plus to be the best. In 2005 I had a puppy given to me for my birthday and the people had the parents, 10 pups and other dogs. The puppy had a couple of ticks, I put the frontline on her and she has been tick free since. Good luck!
o my god..and you didnt call 911..
. Using a pair of pointed precision tweezers, grasp the tick by the head or mouth parts where it enters the skin. DO NOT grasp the tick by the body.

Etched or rasped fine-point tweezers may not be effective in removing deer ticks. Choose unrasped fine-point tweezers whose tips align tightly when pressed firmly together.

2. With a slow, smooth motion, pull firmly and steadily outward. DO NOT twist the tick. DO NOT apply petroleum jelly, a hot match, alcohol or any other irritant to the tick. This can cause the tick to burrow more deeply, and expel more bacteria into the blood.

3. Place the tick in a jar of alcohol to kill it.

4. Clean the wound with disinfectant. Monitor the bite for a rash for three to 30 days. Be alert for other symptoms of Lyme disease. If a rash or other early symptoms develop, see a vet immediately.



For the tick to be dead you have to make sure you get the head of the tick out that is the most important that is why you have to grab the head of the tick and get it off not the body .

Since you have the flea and control on him once a month you should not have any problems. Check your dog again and make sure you got the head of the tick off the dog and just call your vet explain what happened. If they are good Vet they will give you advice over the phone mine always does so she can try to save you some money when its not necessary to bring the dog in .
You should always get the tick to release itself before removing. Don't be scared, be cautious! Use gloves next time your dog has one. The flea and tick stuff isn't that great, if your dog stays in your yard, just treat your yard for fleas and ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment