Friday, July 31, 2009

My dog gets some sort of skin rash..?

My dog gets random (or not so random) rashes or.I'm not sure. They start out reddish, then they become sores. I brought him to the vet, and they gave me fish oil to put in his food and told me to only bathe him in wather..no shampoo. I have done these things, but the rashes/sores still develop. I did buy some stuff for "hot spots" and this does help, but the vet said not to use it..but gave me no other options. I can't not use it, because the sores get bigger and he's very uncomfortable. This is the third vet I've been to for this.

My dog is a toy fox terrier.if this matters.
Answers:
My mother in law has an inside dog that does the same thing. Bless the dogs heart. she scratches and it turns to sores and she hurts so bad.
She took her to the vet and they gave her pills to chop up in her food. Its medication to get rid of the rash.
This dog has many allergies. Especially from weeds or grass. She breaks out but the pills help her. You might want to get a second opinion or take change your vet.
My dog get's hot spots too. she is an American Eskimo with very sensitive skin. AND..she's allergic to flea bites, mosquito bites..anything like that. it starts out red -- the sores come from their scratching or biting the area to scratch the itch. Hot spot spray works, and you should also -- keep your dog on a flea preventative like advantix..I also feed my dog Nutro Ultra for Sensitive Skin -- this has fish oil in it and other things. I use shampoo -- anti flea and tick shampoo -- do not blowdry - towel dry ONLY -- and if he/she has long hair, you might want to get that cut -- heat can aggravate the hotspots too.
It could be allergies. Find a vet that specializes in allergies. When my yard is treated, my dog develops rashes. My vet gave he meds for allergies and it worked. I found that shampoo with oat meal helped the itching. Most important find a vet that knows something about allergies. Take care.
it sure sounds like mange to me you may have to get a forth opinion. for your dogs sake i hope its not mange. good luck.
My toy fox terrier has sensitive skin. One time he got something similar to what you described when he got fleas. It cleared up when the fleas were gone but it came back after I gave him some of those coloured rawhide chews (vet said it was the dye). He gets it sometimes in the heat and one vet suggested it may have been our carpet material because it was usually on his belly.and it is better since we ditched the carpet and got tiles. I'v never got rid of it completely but control it by bathing him in an oatmeal pet shampoo, or a cheesecloth pouch full of oatmeal soaked in warm water, making sure that his diets contains a minimum of colouring and chemicals and experimenting with different human lotions for sensitive/irritated skin. And make sure you use something like frontline regularly. Hope that helps.
it sounds like allergies.most vets are not inclined to say its OK to use something because they want you to pay up the wazoo for there stuff.try children's benadryl and start off with a very low dose to make sure your dog can handle it.another thing you can get fish oil from the store at a pretty cheap price.you might want to look into herbal or other natural treatments.also my dog broke out in a severe rash from some topical flea stuff.i bathed him in oatmeal .put real oatmeal in a sock and let it steep like a tea bag.also use baking soda.to kill bacteria and sooth.
Clip him to one-half inch. Use liquid Tide and a a tablespoon or two of bleach. MIld solution. That kills the fungus or bacteria. . Then drench him in olive oil and wrap him up in an old sheet cut into strips. Or you can use petroleum jelly. If he's got open sores try only a little bit of the solution on a small spot first. I don't know why a vet would tell you fish oil in his food would heal an open sore. If the Tide thing doesn't appeal to you, go to a tack shop and buy some stuff they use on horses for sores. Should work on the dog as well. Also get him lots of sun or buy an ultraviolet lamp and stick him under that for a few minutes at a time. Just enough to kill whatever's buggin' him.
i know this sounds weird but see if there is a naturopath in your area that will see your dog. my boxer was getting weird red patches that would be hot for a long time. this last spring she lost all of her hair; it was weird. after spending hundreds of dollars at my vets a friend recommended that i take her to our naturopath. i did and found out that she had candida; i gave her a supplement and gave her only protein for 30 days and her hair came back and have no other problems since.
well first of all these are hot spots, next you need to bathe him in an oatmeal bath ( use aveeno), next you will have to put an e-collar on him to keep him scratching more. you can get from your vet it is called (DERMA-COOL SPRAY). you spray this on him after his bath and then you need to put the collar on him to keep him from chewing on his spots. then after that you can bathe him once a week, and put that spray on him everyday to help relieve the itching. when you bathe him you need to use the aveeno all the time when you bathe him.

i have golden retrievers and one of them has a bad hot spot and i bought a collar and got the spray from my vet. and the thing that i do is bathe him, spray his spot, put the collar on him. and i do that once a week and i spray him every day. i use the aveeno oatmeal and that works real good, because it helps take the itching away and makes him feel better. and also you may want to change his food because food usually has a big part in the dry itchy skin (hot spots). you want a food that does not have ( wheat, corn, soy, or beef) these ingredients cause the dry itchy skin. the good food that i use and not that expensive is called CHICKEN SOUP. it is a small kibble for your little guy. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment