Thursday, July 30, 2009

my dog gets hysterical (excited)on the way to the beach in the car.His barking is ear-splitting.Any ideas?


Answers:
Take a deep breath and drive faster to get there.

We live 1/4 mile off the beach on Lake Michigan - the dogs' playground.

Everytime I go to the PO, I have to make the same approach as if going to the beach - if I turn left, its to the PO, go straight the beach.

My 2 years old (29 inches at the shoulder and 115 lbs) starts whining 3 blocks from the turn. If I go straight, he accelerates to yelps and shrieks - and does backflips (or close to it) in the back of the station wagon. I f I go left, he looks crushed and subsides.

Desensitization does not WORK. They are beyond excited when they get near hysterical with joy. I think the lake water warps their brains.

The only thing that helps is to reach back, grab his muzzle, order him "down", and keep roaring "ENOUGH! HUSH!" with my hand twisted ino his collar or on is muzzle- of course then the noise is me. c'est la vie!
dont take him
Practice.
Drive him around (not to the beach) and drive home. That way he won't know when you're going and when you're joy-riding.
muzzle him up til you reach the beach.
Open a window enough for him to stick his head out. That way he gets to bark but you don't have to hear it so much.

By barking, he's sharing his joy with you and the world. Don't take that away from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment