Friday, July 31, 2009

my dog got hit by a car yesterdayand was killed. me nor my mom can get over it! what should i do?

on oct 30 my dog got hit by a car and is now dead but me nor my mom can get over it. now every time i go outside or do anything i always expect him to be beside me like he always did. What should i do?
Answers:
I'm sorry for your loss. It will take time to get over it, and you will probably always have the hurt and loss with you, but time will lessen how it affects you. Give yourself time and if it helps, volunteer with a local no-kill shelter to spend time with dogs who could use your love %26 affection.

Good luck to you.
rescue a Katrina pup.
That's normal to feel that way. It takes time to get over the loss of a pet. Allow yourselves to heal for a month or two before buying another pet, assuming you want to do that.
It takes time to grieve, losing a pet is very hard for everyone involved. Buy a scrapbook, fill it with poems and stories about you dog, with pictures. It's a nice way to honor your pet, and have a permanant reminder of how much he meant to you and your family.

Donate to a local shelter in your dogs memory, to help other animals.


Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together..

Author unknown.
I am sorry to hear about your dog. Losing a pet is part of pet ownership although it is especially hard when you feel that you are at fault.

I don't know the details of the accident although I would make sure that if you get another dog that you spend extra time training it so that it doesn't run in the street.
right now there is not much that you can do. Time heals all wounds, you will get over it eventually. I wish there were an easier way
Aww, I'm really sorry for your loss. It can take awhile, but remember to keep your hearts open, and another wonderful little friend will wander right in!
I guess some might disagree with me but here is what our family did when our 16 year old cat died of cancer. We treated it as if a family member had passed away (my kids were 8, 6 and 4 when we got her). We sat around and talked together about the goofy things she did and we laughed and cried a lot. Maybe I'm not much of a manly man but we all loved our cat (and still love our active 17 year old). Sometimes you've just got to work through the grief. Grief for a pet is very legitimate (in my opinion). You are fortunate that you have someone to work through it with.
I am so sorry for your loss. You have to give your self time to greive sweetie. Its going to hurt for a little while really, really bad, but just try to think about all the good times and joy that your dog brought to your life, and know that every day you loved the dog and the dog loved you back was a good day. its hard to loose a family member, but just know that the whole time the dog was with you, he/she was happy and loved.
what i would is get another dog just like him, or bring a picture of your dog every time you go outside.

hope this gives you some ideas!

sorry to hear about your dog hope you find your anwser!
There isn't anything you can do.or need to do. Try to relax, and let the grief flow through you - cry, it's ok. You're going to do a lot of crying for the next few days, maybe even weeks. You've lost a dear friend and a part of the family; allow yourself to grieve.

When you're ready, try to talk about your dog - remember fun and happy times, and laugh (your Mom and you). Light a candle for your dog, and speak to him (he can hear you).tell him how much you miss him, and that you can't wait to see him again someday (you will).

Time is the only thing that will cure this heartbreak. I'm so very sorry for your loss; losing a pet can be very traumatic. Just take it one day at a time.
That is awful. Im sorry. don't worry it is good to grieve and is healthy. Time will help
OOOHHHH, I am so sorry. I know how bad it hurts to loose a beloved pet. Maybe you should try to get a puppy? A puppy will never replace your other dog, but it will help ease the pain a bit. Plus, it will be a nice distraction for you. Again I am sorry for your loss. Good Luck!!
Oh, I'm sorry. You must be very sad. You and your mom will be sad for awhile and it just takes time to get over losing a pet. Just let yourself grieve for your friend and cry if you need to and try to remember all the fun times you had with your dog. Eventually it will not make you sad to thing about him. I lost my cat to a car last summer and was very sad too, but I eventually started to be able to think about her and talk about her without getting all sad, although I still miss her. It will get easier and you will feel better soon.
NO DOG EVER BE ABLE TO REPLACE THAT DOG BUT U CAN GET A DOG THAT LOOKS SORT OF LIKE UR OLD DOG AND TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT
MY MOM ASKED IF I WANTED A LITTLE BROTHER OR SISTER OR A DOG I said a dog and thats what i got (Cricket) was my best friend ever she also got hit, she ran to me ,put her head in my lap then died i remember to this day that being the most painful day of my life. my mom after a few days went and got me a puppy and at first i didn.t like her ,no one knew me like cricket or could take her place " My mom was right on" She knew i needed somthing to channel the love and pain i felt for cricket into. My new pup "NINJA" needed me as much as i needed her and even though there will never be another cricket
a new puppy will ease the pain GET A NEW PUPPY
I DO FEEL AND AM SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF "A FAMILY MEMBER" GOOD LUCK
SIGNED "THE CAT"
I'm sorry about your dog.
I had a dog for 15 years and died in my arms of a major heart attack. my mom was devastated and my dad who never cries did. soo sorry about your sadness. the only way to cope with it is to give it some time.
i had my dog cremated and put in a little box. my mom carried the box with her and took it to where we once were before placing it on our mantle. we made a letter to my dog and put it in the box. my mom cried so much that now 2 years later her under eyes are baggy. no good.
make a photo album or a video montage after 2 years.
we also adopted a poor old dog after 2 months and made him happy.
it's good to find a friend to talk to and hug.
Dear Brandi,

I am so sorry about your dog's death. That has to be a huge shock and a powerful loss. I've been through this before, and it's tough. Companion animals, such as a dog or a cat, are members of the family.

You and your mom are in the beginning stages of grief, and experiencing feelings, and seeing others (like your mom) experience feelings can be scary, but it's normal. When we grieve over the loss of a pet, a friend, or a relative, it happens in stages. It's not something you can "get over" in a day or two. The first stage is shock and disbelief. You can't believe it happened. There are many other stages others may have written to you about, but what's important to know is that grieving is a process, and you may feel many different things at once. Grieving is also very personal. Some people can cry, others cannot cry right away--maybe not until months later. There is no right or wrong way to heal from a loss, and there are many feelings that will come up, sometimes unexpectedly.

You might be angry because the dog was in the road, or angry at the driver, even though the driver may have tried very hard not to hit your dog. You will feel sad a lot. This is normal. It's ok to cry and it's ok to talk about your dog. In fact, talking about your dog--maybe sharing memories with your mom--may help both of you. Be gentle and patient with yourself and your mom. There's no time-table you are supposed to be on. There will be many ways you can remember your dog and keep your dog in your heart.

In time, the pain will decrease. I'm not sure we ever get completely "over" the loss of a pet, a friend, or a relative. We heal such that we can go on with our lives and find joy again. But if the pet, the friend, or the relative was important to us, we cannot simply turn off the feelings and act as if nothing happened.

When I was 19, my grandmother died on my birthday. She was the grandparent I knew the longest, and I was very attached to her. I was away at school, and I cried just a little. I was very shocked, and I was worried about exams. A week or so later, my dog died. I cried like a baby for days. Did I love my dog more? No! Maybe, when my grandmother died, I was scared to let my feelings down around the people I was living with because I was away at school. I also knew she had been getting frail, but still her death was not expected. I had a guard up, if you will. Like a road block. When I found out my dog died, I just lost it. It felt like too much to bear. My dog was not that old and had been in good health, so the dog's death was maybe more unexpected.

In the summer of 2005, we had to have the black Lab we had loved for 12 years put down because she was very sick, in pain, and not going to get better. It was so difficult. She was a part of the family! I couldn't figure out what to do without a dog--and I'm a grown up! I know people say you should wait to get another pet when one pet dies--to give you time to grieve and heal, and that is very good advice--good advice that most people would recommend to anyone who has lost a pet. I could not follow that advice, however. I tried. Some time after our dog was put down, I dropped some food on the kitchen floor and watched it stay there before I realized I had to clean it up because no dog came to clean it up! I announced to whomever was or wasn't listening,"That's it, I'm getting a dog!" Now obviously, people should not simply have a dog to clean up whatever we spill, but that was my way of realizing how much having a dog had become part of my life. Other pets are fine, but there is something about a dog's unconditional love and automatic forgiveness that you just can't find in cats, rabbits, and sadly, a lot of people!

I'm so sorry for the pain you and your mom are in, but this pain is normal, and the fact that you are sad says a lot about how special your dog was to you and your mom. The healing takes time. You may find you are moody, or maybe your mom is moody. That's ok. There's no right or wrong way to get through this, but time does lessen the pain you are feeling.

It's been over a year since my black Lab had to be put down. I still miss her and tear up sometimes. But it doesn't hurt as much as it did at first. Keep talking to your mom or anyone else who cares about you. If you are in school, you could even talk to a teacher or a guidance counselor. You can draw pictures of your dog, put together a memory book, write a poem or a story. Or if the ground is not yet frozen where you live, you could plant some flower bulbs for next spring. You are not alone--I bet lots of people will read what you wrote on Yahoo Questions and write back to you. There's even a poem someone wrote called, "The Rainbow Bridge" that has helped some people recover from the loss of a pet. The link to it is:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rai.

You might not want to read it right before school or work. It is comforting, but I still can't read it without some tears, so read it when you need a chance to cry or be comforted. Maybe even let your mom check it out first.

Slowly, the pain will lessen. The fact that you are feeling sad means that your dog was one fine dog, and you one fine human companion. When you can, give your mom a hug and know that there are people who have been through this and who care about what you and your mom are going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment