Wednesday, July 29, 2009

my dog bites?

When my dog gets excited eg. when we play around to just me coming home from work she gets really excited and play bites my wrists. I started shoving my wrists further down her throat and in a deep growling voice say 'no' and stop what i'm doing even walk away from her. But it doesn't stop her. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and I would like to know what you did/done to stop it?
Answers:
So far you have only made it a game and in her view, confirmed that she is right to play with you like that. Her age doesn't matter in terms of whether it is play-aggression or dominance-aggression (bad) or fear-aggression (bad).

Do this:

You have to DO something about it - and do it in a manner that dogs innately and instinctively understand..

When he nips at you, roar NO in a deep voice, grab him by the collar or back of the neck, push him down and hold him on the ground and as you are doing that and snap your fingers on the end of his nose or slap his nose with your fingers. WHile youo pin him down and get his nose, lean over him and keep saying BAD BAD BAD - do NOT let your voice slide up, make it deep.

In a group of dogs, if he nipped the leader, they would knock him over, grab the skin on his neck or the side of his face and pinch it without breaking the skin, and growl.

So do what they would do. That is something a dog understands instinctively - born preprogrammed to get that message. Lot of theories out there about yelping in pain and pushing him away or (really dumb) spraying him with water or the shove your fist in their mouth (great, they figure they just have a good grip to continue the game) - but your puppy didn't read those books!

Get after him about EVERY SINGLE TIME - you must be 100% consistent
She thinks you are just playing harder so she will increase the intensity too. Instead of shoving your fists into her, do jus tthe opposite, retreat from the game so she knows you do not think it is fun. Be quiet but firm and tell her "no", turn from her when she does it. Also be sure to give positive reinforcment and reward her when she greets you in a more appropriate manner. Dogs are smart and she will get it pretty quickly if you are consistent.
I did the same thing of pushing my wrists deeper where he would find his jaws fixed.soon he gave up.
You could use a water gun whenever your dog play bites.
I have a Golden Retriever that does the same thing. I talked to a breeder and a vet they said that if a dog over 9 months bites and shows it teeth or growls it is a sign of genetic aggression and that it can't be fixed. I'm hope is not true because I love my dog. They said because I have a 4 year old daughter not to trust him.

No comments:

Post a Comment