Friday, July 31, 2009

My dog got sprayed by a skunk right outside my door. How do I get rid of the smell on her and in my house?

My whole house smells! The windows were open and now I can't tell if it is just in my nose or what. Do groomers take dogs who have been sprayed? I can't imagine putting tomato juice in my old clawfoot tub-it will stain it forever.
Answers:
2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda
1 squrit liquid dish soap
mix in bucket
sponge on dog let sit on for 10-15 minutes
rinse well
This works pretty good and far far better than the tomato juice thing.
My dogs get skunked a couple of times a year and this is what I use.
Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel covered this. They found that a combination of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and water worked the best to remove the odor. They used it on themselves and the room they had sprayed with the skunk odor.

Or buy a new dog.
You can try what gem said. Also you can actually bath a dog in tomato juice. Sounds weird but it works.
old wives tale. give him a bath in tomato juice. i never had to do it so i dont know how it will work.
Use baking soda
MIX BAKING SODA WITH DISHSOAP AND WASH HIM WITH IT. AS FAR AS YOUR HOUSE GOES, OPEN ALL THE WINDOWS AND USE FABREZE
I've had the same problem, I bathed my dog in tomato juice. You have to let the juice stay on the dog for a few minutes, rinse well and I repeated the process with more tomato juice. To get the smell out of the house, I sprayed everything I possibley could with Febreeze and then put a copule moth balls in every window (out of the dog's reach). The smell went away fairly quickly - but you will have a slight smell of moth balls - which I prefer over skunk. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment